Saturday, January 26, 2008

Back for Another

Semester, that is. And also a finished object!
Here is a picture.


These are hand-warmers with a cable pattern that I ganked from the Louisa Harding pattern in the Winter 2007 Interweave Knits magazine (cable pattern borrowed from her new book Knitting Little Luxuries) -- and these are (appropriately) slightly luxurious.
Specs:
Yarn: Debbie Bliss Cashmerino, DK, color: a cop-out number. I think it's kind of like oatmeal.
Needles: Two circulars (boo-urns some may say, but it was a bitch attempting the cables on dpns), one Inox, size 7, one Addi Turbo, size 8. Pointier needles make for happier cabling.
Pattern: Ye olde fingerless glove, 2x2 ribbing on palm side, cable on the back of the hand side. I fudged the thumb gussets, and they are more or less even. I think.
Answer the damn question:
I loved knitting these, and they're nice to wear, too -- these were my first full-on cable project, and it's amazing how the unfolding pattern urges you to knit to completion.

My dad liked them, too. He asked if he could wear them for chopping down trees, and my mother said, "No!"

I knit these in a pretty accelerated four day spree, and much of the knitting was done in public -- a quarter was in a sports bar in DC where I met up with a number of guys I'd known in high school, and about a half of it was over new years eve and brunch the next morning with friends from college and their friends. Surprising to me was the fact that both crowds (nerdy dudes working at various think tanks and, uh, corporate tax advising firms, and nerdy kids playing beer pong and making merry) found it note-worthy, and started talking to me about it.

School starts on Monday, and the transition may be brutal. But a new semester plus a new batch of students equals comics fodder, which shall be posted as soon as I figure out how to get the dang scanner thing to work.

1 comment:

Thomas P said...

Nina-
Nice warmers, dude!
Love your energy.
~Thomas